Friday, December 10, 2010

The Drawing

for my drawing class final project, I did a 7 by 5 foot drawing.
thats 36 square feet, for those of us who are bad at math.
I planned the composition for about a week-- researching artists, looking at different types of compositions, and making sketches.
Photobucket

I wanted to make a symmetrical composition that had elements of surrealism, hyper-realism, and illustration.  I drew inspiration from some of my favorite artists-- Henry Darger, Michelangelo, Frida Kahlo (master of the self portrait) and Klimt.

Then I got started!
Photobucket

I worked on it pretty consistently for a week-- I just totaled it up and it was about 40 hours, but that includes breaks. So probably about 35ish. I just really wanted to push myself and see what I could do.  I considered everything I'd heard in crit this semester.  I made sure that I didn't make the same mistakes in my drawing-- no outlines, no illustration. I tried to not stylize the figure by making sure to carefully measure the figure so it was in proportion.

Photobucket



I really like the color distortions here.

What else, what else....
basically, this drawing really kicked my ass. I gave it 500 percent, and I'm happy with the outcome.

I totally forgot to take a finished picture though.
That's coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment